Google voice is a free web-based phone number that can be used on a computer or mobile device. Anyone with a Google account can sign up for one. We recommend using it to record audio-only or podcast-style interviews.
1. Sign up for a Google Voice Number
Follow the steps in the video below to set up a Google Voice number and forward it to a mobile or landline phone.
Video Sourced from YouTube
2. Enable Call Recording in Settings
First, click on
settings (gear icon) in the upper right corner of your browser.
Second, turn on
Incoming call options.
- Have your participant call your Google Voice number. The call should forward to the phone number you linked to during your setup process.
Important note– Your interview subject must call you in order to be able to record.
- Before you begin recording, make sure that both you and your interview subject are in a quiet private area that is free from extraneous noise. Also, make sure that both you and your interview subject talk directly into your phone’s microphone or use a handsfree device such as headphones with a built-in microphone. Speaker phone will produce less than ideal audio quality as it puts you further away from the microphone.
Press 4on your phone keypad. Both you and your interview subject will hear an audio announcement that recording has started.
Press 4or hangup to end the recording.
We strongly recommend practicing this process and doing several brief test recordings to make sure that all tech is functioning properly. Please share these test recordings with your media program lead so they can verify audio quality.
4. Download your Recordings
You can find and download your Google Voice recordings in the
Voicemail section of your Google Voice account. Navigate to the voicemail you’d like to download and click on three dots in upper-right corner. Than select download and you’ll be able to download your recording as an
5. Send your Recordings to Media
Please send your audio recording files to your media lead after downloading. The best way to do this is via your course’s Google Shared Drive. Don’t hestiate to reach out to your media program lead if you have any questions.
Students will listen to the interview via our proprietary audio player. The player is directly embedded onto a Canvas page. You can view examples below.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to your media program lead for any and all questions!
Published on October 18, 2019 at 2:07:36 pm CDT. Last modified on March 19, 2020 at 10:56:35 am CDT.