Films On Demand is a collection of video databases that focus on educational and academic content. It offers access to thousands of films, documentaries, and news for streaming on demand.
Inserting Films On Demand Video
Films On Demand videos can be added to Canvas course content by using the rich content editor (RCE).
- In the RCE toolbar, click the “electric plug” (Apps) button.
- Select “Films On Demand” on the popup dialog.
After selecting “Films On Demand”, a dialog will appear for searching videos.
- Enter a keyword or phrase in the search box and click the Search button.
- Browse through the search results to find the desired video. By default, the search results include both full-length videos and their segments. A video segment result is indicated by the “From Title:…” tagline, and the duration is usually short five or 10 minutes.
- Use Filters to focus the results.
After the desired video is found, it can be embeded or inserted into the course content via the RCE.
- Click the Embed drop-down button on the far right of the video.
- Select the desired size of the video: Embed Small, Embed Medium, or Embed Large.
- The first option, Embed does nothing. Also, the Record URL option is not recommended. Students cannot access the URL to view the video in or outside of Canvas.
After selecting a size, the Films On Deman dialog will close and return to the RCE with the embedded video.
- Add any additional information or content if necessary.
- Click Save.
Browsing Films On Demand
Searching and browsing videos with Films On Demands in Canvas LMS is not intuitive. Fortunately, searching and browsing videos directly on the Films On Demand website can be done at https://fod.infobase.com/nd_Home.aspx.
The website is mainly for the purpose of browsing films. Even though the embed code are available, the Learning Technology Team does not recommended using it or sharing links from this website.
Creating and Embedding Playlist
On the Films On Demand website, the “Add to” link under the video is for creating or adding to a playlist. However, this feature is not available for use because additional credential is required.
Films On Demand’s video player does not support playlist. Therefore, embedding playlist functionality does not exist.
Creating New Video Segment
On the Films On Demand website, the “Segments” link under the video is for creating a new video segment. However, this feature is not available for use because additional credential is required.
Published on December 03, 2020 at 3:25:08 pm CST. Last modified on February 09, 2021 at 3:45:20 pm CST.