Generic Video Player version 3 is built with HTML5, CSS3, and VideoJS library.
Latest version: 3.3.3
The file structure for Generic Video Player version 3 stays the same as the previous versions with the exception of the following requirements:
- an index.html file is needed
- this file does not to be edited but make sure to put it in the same root directory with other files
- kaltura.txt is needed if the video is hosted on Kaltura. This file contains the video entry ID from Kaltura. The text file must be a plain text file. You may have issue with the file if you converted a rich content file to plain text file. Always start with an empty plain text file.
- the root directory must be named the same as the files it will hold
- follow the media team naming conventions
- directory name will be used by the player to determine the video source
- The sources folder is centralized on the web server.
The root directory, poster image, video, transcript, compressed package (ZIP), and subtitle files should always be named the same.
- poster image must be in jpg format
- video must be in mp4
- transcript file is optional but must be in pdf if used
- subtitle file must be in vtt
The resulting URL should be like the following:
NOT OKAY https://media.uwex.edu/content/smgt/smgt370_r13/smgt370_course_intro/Cao/
The yellow highlighted part will be used by the player, and it should always be the last part in an URL. The red highlighted part is a no-no and not following the file structure and naming conventions.
Generic Video Player version 3 introduces query string. Query string is a string of parameters with values, which are appended to the end of an URL. It is somewhat similar to FlashVars for Flash objects.
Example of a query string:
The first parameter in a query string always start with a
?, and the rest of the parameters should be concatenated with an
&. All parameters are optional and do not have to be specified in any specific order. Any use of parameter with default value does not have to be specified as well. Default values will be used automatically. However, no parameter should be left without a value (e.g.,
The table below listed all of the acceptable parameters and their values.
|title of the video|
|autoplay||default: 0||set to 1 to auto play video on page ready|
How to use this player is straight forward. Follow the file structure above, and it will just works. Magic!
For requesting video from Kaltura, a kaltura.txt plain text file is required. The plain text file must contain only the Kaltura video entry ID.
Published on December 23, 2014 at 1:13:27 pm CST. Last modified on May 04, 2018 at 1:38:15 pm CST.