Our Kaltura media has been migrated to the central Kaltura instance that is managed by University of Wisconsin System. Because we no longer have access to the Kaltura Management Console (KMC), we must now use a front-end interface to Kaltura called MediaSpace to upload and manage videos. You can log in to MediaSpace with your federated UW login.
- Go to MediaSpace: https://mediaspace.wisconsin.edu/my-media
- Log in to MediaSpace with your federated UW credentials (the same login information you use to access my.wisconsin.edu).
- Click “ADD NEW” in the upper right of the Media Space interface.
- Click “I agree to the above terms and conditions” to unhide the upload interface.
- Begin Uploading – Select your video for upload to begin the upload.
- Title the video – Enter the title for your video in the Name field.
- Add Tags – Add tags to your video. The prefix
uwex-must be used on all tags.
- Set Collaborator – Click Add Collaborator and enter
UWEX-G-UWEXas a collaborator on this video entry. – Select Co-Editor, Co-Publisher and Co-Viewer. If you do not add this, other people on the team will not be able to find the video.
- Verify Publishing Status – Leave the publishing status set to "Unlisted."
- Save your changes – Before continuing, click “Save” to save the settings you have configured.
- Click “Go To Media” to view this entry.
- From the Actions menu located on the right-hand side of the screen click Edit…
- Set a Thumbnail – Click the Thumbnails tab and upload a thumbnail or capture a thumbnail from the video.
- Add Captions – Click the Captions tab and upload SRT captions for the video. Select English as the language and name the captions “Captions”. Accuracy can be left at the default of 100%. Note: Do not use "Caption & Enrich" for captions.
Getting the Kaltura ID for your video
To get a video’s Kaltura ID, navigate to a video’s entry page, click your browser’s address bar, and copy the 10-character-long code at the end of the URL.
- Navigate to the video’s entry page in Media Space.
- Click your browser’s address bar.
- Highlight the Kaltura ID at the end of the URL. See the bolded portions of the URLs below for an example.
- Copy the video’s Kaltura ID.
Viewing Previously Uploaded Videos
You can view previously uploaded videos from the My Media section of MediaSpace.
- Click your name in the upper right corner of the page.
- Click "My Media"
Searching for videos in MediaSpace
Search for videos in MediaSpace using the Search My Media searchbar. Do not use the search button that is located in the upper right of all MediaSpace pages.
Note that clicking on tags in MediaSpace does not work for searching, which means that you cannot easily view all videos that are associated with a specific tag.
If you can't find a previously uploaded video
If you cannot find a video that was previously uploaded by someone else, contact them, and have them make sure
UWEX-G-UWEX was added as a collaborator for the video.
Notes about Migrated Videos
Videos that have been migrated from our old Kaltura instance will have descriptions with extra information in them, such as the original creation date of the video and the account of the original uploader. It also includes the original Kaltura Entry ID; however, this is not the current entry ID and cannot be used in projects. As noted above, use the Kaltura ID located in the address bar of your browser.
Notes about MediaSpace Channels
We are not using MediaSpace channels. They do not provide improved organization or navigation of our videos, and for our purposes, they are confusing to use and manage.
Documentation of the old process is available here:
Published on May 28, 2020 at 4:26:00 pm CDT. Last modified on February 17, 2022 at 2:55:43 pm CST.