Riverside.fm is a remote podcast and video recording tool. This page will go over the very basics of using it. For in depth and comprehensive guides go to Riverside Help Center. In addition, watch the video below to get a good general overview of the Riverside.
For most course media pieces, there are three primary design and development stages. In order, they are faculty development, ID review, and media production.
A new studio should be created for each recording session and given a meaningful name.
- ABT725_r22 – Interview – John Doe
- HIMT400_r23 – Course Intro
- ITM700_r23 – Course/Module Intros
- Click +New Studio
- Give studio a name
- Choose Audio & Video or Audio Only
- Select Continue set up studio
- Select Create Show
- Select Settings
- In the security section set to…
- Turn on Require guests to wait in lobby
- Audio Sample Rate to 48 kHz
- Participant video recording to Advanced quality. Also, toggle to Up to 4k HD.
- Go to your studio and select settings
- In the Invite participants section click invite
- Under Share a link, make sure guest is selected (More info about Participant Roles)
Click copy to copy the invite URL
- Now go to Outlook and create a new invite with the UWEX-mediaproduction calendar
- Give the meeting an appropriate name and include 🖥 to denote it as a virtual recording (Ex: 🖥 ABT725 Interview – John Doe)
- Add Riverside.fm as the location
- Add your guests and your emails
- In the meeting details add the message below and make sure to replace placeholder spots with your info
We will be using Riverside.fm for our virtual recording session. You can join the session with the link below.
[Riverside.fm studio URL]
A couple of important notes
- Please join from a private quiet space that has ample lighting
- Unlike Zoom or Webex, you won’t be able to use a virtual background. Keep this in mind when selecting the location to join the session from.
- If joining from a computer you’ll need to use either Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge as your browser.
- If joining from a mobile device (tablet/phone), you’ll need to download the Riverside.fm app (Apple app or Android app). The app is free and you do not need to create an account.
- After our recording session ends, please keep your browser tab or the app open. As soon as we begin the session the recording starts to upload, but it will continue to finish uploading after our session ends. You’ll be reminded of this at the end of the session as well.
Thanks! Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions!
Join a Studio Session
Start and Stop Recordings
It’s best to wait until everyone has joined the studio to begin recording. This will ensure all video and audio recordings are the same length and make syncing them up in Premiere easier.
Break up your recordings
When recording different videos in one session, start and stop recording for each video, but not each take or attempt. This will make it easier for editing as your recording division will match how we divide up projects. For example, start recording for the course introduction and keep recording even if the subject pauses, restarts, etc. Click stop recording when you’re done with that video. Repeat process for all subsequent videos.
Recording Upload Progress
Once recording you’ll see a participant’s upload progress underneath their name. Uploads will not finish until after you stop recording. You may need to prompt your guest to keep their browser tab (or app) open after the session for the recording to finish uploading.
Currently, we can record 15 hours per billing month. If we go past 15 hours are account won’t stop recording, but if this happens consistently we will be asked to upgrade. Recording time is calculated by session and not participant (a 1 hour studio session with 4 participants = 1 hour of recording). Overall recording time can be seen on our account homepage.
Download High Quality Tracks
Export Recording as Adobe Premiere Pro Timeline
Import Timeline to Adobe Premiere Pro
If you utilize the Premiere Pro download option make sure you reorganize and relink files to follow project organization guidelines.
Fixing Audio Sync
Some recordings might require an audio sync fix. It will be out of sync by a fixed amount and change throughout the recording. This can be fixed by shifting the audio track forward or backward as many frames as needed
Published on January 05, 2023 at 10:37:37 am CST. Last modified on January 05, 2023 at 11:23:51 am CST.